Wednesday, March 24, 2010

 

A Second Helping of "You Know How It Is"




Generally I can't fulfill curtain call requests for features because there's typically a lag of weeks or months from when I make scans to when they actually appear on the blog. By the time you folks request more of a favorite feature the material has all been filed away and it's a major production to dig it back out. Not so with this one, though; I had four more samples sitting on my desk when the post was published. And since I'm just crazy about J. Norman Lynd myself, happy to oblige with four more. That's all I've got though -- the well's dry.

Thanks again to Mark Johnson for these samples.

Labels:


Comments:
Verrrrrrrrry nice stuff!
 
As a Lynd fan, you'll be happy to know that I am working on a book of his work for release near the end of the year. I was unfamiliar with this strip...thanks for alerting me to it, and thanks for such a wonderful blog.

--Joe
 
Hi Joe --
Tell us more! Is it going to be a Vignettes book or a full retrospective or what?

--Allan
 
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond (I've been in fevered production mode on books for both my job and for my new publishing venture).

The Lynd book will be mostly "Vignettes," but only because that's what I have in my collection (probably 250 or so examples). I have a few Life comics by Lynd from the 1920s, a decent run of "Mazie the Motormaid" (maybe 15 or so), and a few examples of illustration work he did for magazines from the 1910-20s. I am also fortunate in owning a couple of orginals by Lynd. I'd love any contributions of more Lynd material from other folks on this board and elsewhere (I wasn't even aware of the "You KInow How It Is" strip until I saw it here!). This book is really a labor of love, and the more material I can include, the better we can honor Lynd's under-appreciated body of work.

I'd also love to find somebody who would be itnerested in writing an introduction/appreciation for the book.

Thanks again, and wish me luck!

--Joe Procopio
 
...and I forgot about three or four magazine covers I've come across by Lynd (American Legion, Snappy Stories, etc.)

Feel free to checkout my Facebook page for "Lost Art Books," until I get my real Web Site launched in July:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=345009783705&ref=mf
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]