Wednesday, August 12, 2009

 

I'm Back + Help Wanted

Hi folks --
I'm back from our vacation in the enchanted land of Costa Rica. R&R meter not quite pegged on full since I worked a lot on the book while I was there.

I see the Italian squad was pretty dominating at the Super-Quiz; congratulations guys! Did the scarcity of answers indicate that the quiz was too hard? I was afraid that most of the answers were just a Google away, so I guess I'm relieved in that regard.

I was relieved to see that there were only a few questions that generated any controversy. Regarding Echo's relationship with Tumbleweeds, I'd point out that I phrased the question to indicate that either the staff or distaff might be the pursuer. And as to whether McNaught is funny or not, all I can say is that the principles thought it was pretty cute.

To get back in the swing of things here's a little something from my archives to lend a little color to the post. An episode of Super Duper about going away for vacation that I meant to run when we were leaving. Oh well...



Now onto the Help Wanted portion of the program. With a deadline staring me in the face, I rather desperately need your help on some issues. In the next few days I'm going to be going back through all the new strip announcements from The Daily Cartoonist to see which I haven't been able to find in papers. As you know, Stripper's Guide rules dictate that I have to see the feature running in newsprint before it gets added to the listings. If you can absolutely guarantee me that you've seen these features in print I'm going to add them to the listings; I'd prefer if you could scan a sample or two from newsprint but at this late date beggars can't be choosers, so I'm trusting you guys. You will be credited in the guide listing, so be prepared to suffer brickbats if you're blowing smoke.

Okay, here's a few to get us started; more on the way:

Home and Away by Steve Sicula
Daddy's Home by Rubino/Markstein
The Barn by Ralph Hagen

Comments:
"Daddy's Home" by Rubino & Markstein runs in the Chicago Sun-Times. I'll try and get a sample scanned for you.
 
Not wanting to add to anyone's work on the subject, or Allan's of course, but has anyone ever given though to check daily college and university newspapers?

A co-worker of mine showed me a copy of Michigan State's daily newspaper from when she graduated ten years ago and sure enough there was syndicate comic strips in it. Many I knew some I didn't, maybe a student strip or two too.

Perhaps some "missing strips" are showing up there?
 
Hi Ray -
I'm in the clear on that account. One of the types of newspapers excluded in SG's scope rules are college papers.

--Allan
 
Thanks for the info Joshua!

--Allan
 
taken from the internet
>"Home and Away" by Steve Sicula debuts today

From: "D. D. Degg"
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 04:56:35 -0700 (PDT)(snip)
It begins today in The Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle,
which has a short profile of Sicula
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/062208/liv_462942.shtml
and in the Gary (Ind.) Post Tribune,
which does a nice article about the strip and cartoonist.
http://www.post-trib.com/news/1019212,homeandaway.article

so someone could check one of those papers....
.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]