Friday, January 26, 2007

 

Obscurity of the Day: Go-Go



Here's a delightful little strip, one of many that have tried to give a starring role to a cop over the years. Few of these ended up being particularly successful, I guess because of the public's ambivalent feelings toward the profession. I must admit that since I got a ticket yesterday in a speed trap in Ridgeway South Carolina my admiration for the profession is at a lower ebb right now.

Go-Go was syndicated by the International Syndicate of Baltimore, a syndicate whose only real comic strip success in papers came with the long-running Scoop The Cub Reporter back in the teens. The syndicate's real bread-and-butter product was their one-column 'he said-she said' gag cartoons, which they supplied in bulk to newspapers. These fell out of favor in the twenties, though, so International tried a number of strips, most of which never really got anywhere.

Go-Go was well drawn and many of the gags hit, but yet the strip never got going. It ran in 1924 (sorry, I don't know specific start and end dates) in very few papers. The strip was signed by someone named Gibbs.

Labels:


Comments:
I was surprised to find that there was a cop strip in the late fifties by Gil Fox, which I quite liked.
 
I like these. Would like a couple more. charlie
 
I love that last panel with the hat flying off! --Pete
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]